Friday, August 11, 2006

A "grrrrr" day

Well it started wonderfully (note the sarcasm in that lol)! As I was having a shower this morning the power ran out.... the thing is, when we don'thave power, the pump doesn't run, so there is no water! I had to get out go outside (sopping wet), and attempt to start the generator (which a finally did, after a lot of "nearly" swearing lol). The sad thing is this isn't the first time this has happened lol. Anyway, there is some good news about the whole power thing. Yesterday I registered for the fuel grant scheme, so we'll get 38 cents back in the dollar for the fuel we use in the generator... better than nothing I suppose :).

Went to work, and felt like I got nothing done today, but in reality I did ;).

Got home and found in the mail my first cheque for scrapping... pretty chuffed about that. And I didn 't know that for keeps sends you a copy of the mag with your lo in it. Is this normal? If so, I won't need to buy a copy next month ;). Then as the day was looking up, I drove all the way in the drive, and saw that the bin had been knocked over... the bin that hadn't been emptied for the last 3 weeks! The stupid dog from next door has been paying visits... and our dog as decided that it is now a friend!! Anyway.. had to go over the whole backyard and pick up the mess... not happy Jan!

The day did pick up again (lol, what a rollercoaster ;) ). when I got inside and checked my emails (of course the first thing I do). I'd received a pm at SBB, from someone wanting to know how I do my Layout.... well how do I do my Layouts?! I really have no idea. I attemtped to answer her, but feel that my explanations were a little lacking lol. Anyway, thought that I'd post the los that she was interested in, and the attempt at explaining... note the word "attempt", as most of you know, i'm not the best at explaining things... especially when I really have no idea of how I get to the finished lo.

That Face:

(credits: Denise Docherty)

I started with my main photo and positioned it. Added a paper for the background, but moved it on an angle under the photo, so some of the white background still showed. Added the other photos, in strip form (believe me this is NOT how it started lol), and added some strokes around them. Added 2 more of Denises papers, and changed the blending mode to pinlight, opacity 100% for the first, and hardlight opacity 52% for the second. Also added some layer maskes to these layers to get rid of some of the effect where I didn't want it.Then added a gradient fill layer above my main photo, and created a clipping mask so it only coved that photo, blend mode to hard light 100%. Added 2 rectangle shapes above the photo, and masked out the centre leaving a feathered edge, and played with the blending modes of these too.Finally I added a solid fill layer (red) and blend mode to linear dodge 74%, using the layer mask to adjust where I wanted the effect. Phewww... lol

Grrrr... blogger won't let me upload the other one!

7 comments:

Lee said...

Oh man that shower thing would drive me insane, although the thought of you out there all wet trying to start a generator, in winter, did make me smile.

Good news on the grant!

That cheque is the first of many I'm sure! You are gonna be a digiscrapping star!

I got a mag too, and I didn't know either, so I think it's the case all the time.

Oh man you did have a bad day! Pick up rubbish grrrr...

SHOW ME how you do your layouts! You are amazing!And I think you are amazing at explaining things, although sometimes you get a bit to technical! ;)

Oh OK, you did explain LOL, OK going to try and soak it in!

Sherryll said...

WOW, what a woman starting the generator, good on you ! The grant is a great start, how exciting a cheque AND a mag.
That explanation is wonderful, what a pity blogger wouldn't let you upload, you are going to be very famous in the digi world very soon I can tell, I hope you remember all of us !!!!

Anonymous said...

Angela.. you are the whizz bang best at these layouts. I can't even begin to understand what you have done, but I am going to try. (now that's a joke, if I ever heard one...lol
Well done with the cheque and the book. :) See I told you, you can make money from scrapping.:) I only speaka the truth... :)
As for the generator, it brings back memories from the 50's when I was justa kid...I am that old, YES!!!

Karen Johnson said...

Ange thanks for the mini tuts they are great, as are of course the wonderful layouts,
Sorry you had such an up and down day, hope the ups made up for the downs :)

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered how you do them too! Thanks for taking the time to explain it!! These are wonderful layouts!

Congrats on your chq from For Keeps..how exciting!

Grrr...I have many horrible memories of living on the farm and the water/electricity/heating problems!

Karin said...

Sorry to hear about your day but I'm glad about the scrapping stuff - coolio on that!

Gorgeous LO, as usual

Helen said...

Your work is stunning Angela, no one could replicate these LO's, even with the tutes, but I am going to have a go :)